It should be a beautiful weekend Friday and Saturday with a chance of showers on Sunday.
Here are 15 family-friendly events to check out:
- Veterans Day Parade. Celebrate veterans while the parade goes down Congress Avenue downtown. 8 a.m. to noon Saturday. austinveteransparade.org
- Contemporary Austin. Families Create: Action Painting. Learn how to make art by throwing paper pulp. 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday. Free. Laguna Gloria, 3809 W. 35th St. thecontemporaryaustin.org
- Jack Hanna’s “Into the Wild Live!” America’s zookeeper 2 p.m. Sunday. $30-$57. Paramount Theatre, 713 Congress Ave. austintheatre.org. See our interview with Jack Hanna.
- ATX Think Bilingual Fair. Learn about programs and resources for bilingual education. 1-4 p.m. Sunday. Asian American Resource Center, 8401 Cameron Road. austin.thinkbilingual.org
- Harry Potter Fest. Friday see “Sorcerer’s Stone” and “Chamber of Secrets.” Saturday see “Prisoner of Azkaban” and “Goblet of Fire.” Various prices. Blue Starlite Mini Urban Drive-In. 12419 Lowden Lane, Manchaca. bluestarlitedrivein.com
- Alamo Drafthouse has a double shot of cartoons: PBS Kids “Wild Kratts.” 10 a.m. Saturday and Sunday, Lakeline. Cartoon Network Presents “Ben 10: Omni-Tricked.” 10:30 a.m. Saturday, Slaughter Lane. drafthouse.com
- Ballet Austin’s Creative Movement free classes. 2:45 p.m. Saturday, ages 18 months to 2; 3:30 p.m. Saturday, age 3; 4:15 p.m. Saturday, ages 4-5. Ballet Austin Studio Theater, 501 W. Third St. balletaustin.org
- Storytelling with Ozobots. Make your own costume. For ages 4 and up. $8. 10:30 a.m., noon, 2 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. Saturday-Sunday. Thinkery, 1830 Simond Ave. thinkeryaustin.org
- Pollyanna Theatre Company presents “Chicken Story Time.” Why did the chicken cross the road? To get to story time. Hear stories with a lot of chickens. For ages 2-4. 9:30 a.m. Friday and Saturday, 11 a.m. Friday and Saturday. $6.75. The Long Center, 701 W. Riverside Drive. thelongcenter.org
- Zach Theatre presents “The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe.” Head to Narnia in the C.S. Lewis tale. 11 a.m. Saturday; 2 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. $18-$24. Whisenhunt Stage, 1510 Toomey Road. zachtheatre.org
- Hideout Theatre Presents: “Block Heads,” improv based on Minecraft. 2 p.m. Sundays. $5. Hideout Theatre, 617 Congress Ave. hideouttheatre.org
- “The Diary of Anne Frank.” 7:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday. 2 p.m. Sunday. $18-$10. EmilyAnn Theatre 1101 Ranch Road 2325, Wimberley. emilyann.org/productions
- BookPeople events. Paramount Theatre: “Mr. Popper’s Penguins.” 11:30 a.m. Saturday. BookPeople, 603 N. Lamar Blvd. bookpeople.com
- Barnes & Noble Events: Mini Maker Faire. Noon, Saturday and Sunday, Arboretum. As well: Paramount Theatre story time. 11 a.m. Saturday, Arboretum and 11 a.m. Saturdays story times at all locations: “A Loud Winter’s Nap.” Saturday.
- “The Elves and the Shoemaker.” For ages 5 and up. 6:30 p.m. Friday, Manchaca Road Branch.