This has been a weird year with many school districts going back to school on different days. Today, though, students in Austin, Eanes, Bastrop, Manor, Liberty Hill and Burnet districts head back to the classroom.
If you have one of those students, how did your morning go?
Here are my five random thoughts about this morning:
- 5 a.m. is way too early. That’s when we have to start our day to get everyone showered and out the door for high school and middle school. And no, there’s not enough coffee in the world that is going to make this day better.
- The first day of school photo is no fun when you’re in middle school and high school. I now have to sneak them when my kids aren’t looking. If you had willing participants, we’d love to see those photos. Send them to email@example.com or tag them on Instagram and Twitter at #atxfirstday.
- Where that bus at? There’s always that moment of panic when you think… am I in the right place? Is this really the bus stop? Is this bus actually going to come and take my child away? Is it really the first day of school?
- There is not enough patience in the world to get this many new parents through the car pool line at any school. Yet, we’re all going to have to pack our patience in our new backpacks today and all week. New parents don’t understand they are going the wrong way or that they can’t just stop in the middle of the road to let their kid off. And if you’re a driver who heads through school zones… please, be aware on this day and all days and PUT DOWN YOUR CELL PHONE. Thank you.
- How did they get this old? I just brought them home from the hospital and now they are learning about physics and algebra. These years are flying by at a lightening pace, yet every day of the school year feels like an eternity.
Happy first day of school!