It’s National Poison Prevention Week. (I know you’ve marked your calendars for this one.) And these reminders from the National Capital Poison Center might seem obvious, but more than a million times every year kids in the U.S. younger than 6 are exposed to poison.
Know what to do if this happens to you:
- Call 1-800-222-1222, or
- Logon to poison.org to use the webPOISONCONTROL® tool (https://triage.webpoisoncontrol.org/) for online guidance based on age, substance, and amount swallowed.
- Text POISON to 484848 and you can save the contact information for poison control or download the contact information at http://vcrd.co/poison/4222. Remember to share it with anyone who is watching your children.
Follow these steps from the National Capital Poison Center to keep your child save:
- Up, up and away! Keep medications and poisonous household products out of your child’s sight and reach. Locked up is best.
- Avoid container transfer. Some of the most devastating poisonings occur when toxic products are poured into food or beverage containers, then mistaken for food or drink.
- Read the label and follow the directions. Misusing products has dire consequences.
- Use child-resistant packaging. It’s not child-proof, but so much better than nothing. Sorry it’s inconvenient, but using it could save a life.
- Keep button batteries away from children. Swallowed batteries can burn through your child’s esophagus and cause permanent injury or even death.
- Keep laundry pods out of your child’s reach. They are as toxic as they are colorful and squishy.